CREATE THE NEXT HANNAFORD SNACK PAL CHARACTER CONTEST
No purchase necessary to ENTER OR WIN. This is not a game of chance. Void where prohibited by Law.
1. ELIGIBILITY: The Contest is open to anyone who is a resident of and physically located in Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Vermont, and New York and entry must be created by a Kindergarten to 4th grade student during the 2021-2022 school year and submitted by a parent or legal guardian who is 18 years of age or older at time of entry. Employees of Hannaford Bros. Co., LLC (“Hannaford” or “Sponsor”) and employees of PIERCE (“PIERCE”), are NOT eligible to enter or win; nor are the immediate family members (parent, spouse, child, sibling) of such employees or the immediate household of such employees, whether or not related. Contest is subject to all federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited by law.
2. ENTRY PERIOD: Enter the Create the Next Hannaford Snack Pal Character Contest (the “Contest”) between 12:01 a.m. Central Time (“CT”) on August 9, 2021 and 11:59 p.m. (CT) on September 8, 2021 (the “Contest Period”).
b) Via Mail-in: To enter by mail: hand-print your full name, address (no PO boxes), contact phone, e-mail address, on a 3”x 5” card, and include child’s eligible drawing showing their idea of the next Hannaford Snack Pal Character along with the character’s name, superpower, short character bio, and why they selected that fruit or veggie then separately mail in a first-class sufficiently U.S. stamped envelope. The stamped envelope MUST also be clearly marked as Create the Next Hannaford Snack Pal Character Contest. Mail-in entries can be mailed to Pierce P.O. Box 1418, Scarborough, ME 04070-1418. Mail-in request must be postmarked by September 8, 2021 and received by September 13, 2021.
Limit one (1) entry per person/email address during the Contest Period regardless of Entry method. Entries received from any person in excess of stated limitations or otherwise not in compliance with the foregoing will be void and those involved in such submissions will be disqualified.
4. ADDITIONAL CRITERIA FOR ENTRY: Entry must be entrant’s child’s original creation and must not include material that infringes any third person’s copyrights or trademarks, or names or identifies any individual other than the entrant and/or his/her child or legal ward. Submission also must not defame or invade the rights or privacy of any person, or otherwise infringe upon any third party’s personal, proprietary, or intellectual rights. Submission must be consistent with the Sponsor’s brand reputation in the marketplace and must be suitable for audiences of all ages. Entry must not include or involve any of the following: obscenity, crude, vulgar or offensive language; violence, explicit sexual language; phone numbers, personal addresses (physical or email or otherwise); website or web page links or links to apps; derogatory characterizations of any ethnic, racial, sexual or religious groups or content that would humiliate other people (publicly or otherwise), any assault or threatening of others, or material that advertises the goods or services of Entrant or include any recognizable images of real people or property, brand logos, trademarks or copyrighted images of any third parties. Entries containing any of the foregoing content or otherwise in violation of these Official Rules, or containing any other content, display, materials and/or images that are or could be considered objectionable or infringing, inappropriate, unsuitable or offensive, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, will be disqualified. In the event that ownership of a submission is contested in any manner, or any third-party claims that their rights are infringed or otherwise injured by an entry Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify such entry.
5. JUDGING AND SELECTION OF WINNERS: Entries will be judged on a 100-point scale, with points earned during each of two rounds of judging and one round of voting.
A. Round One: Selection of Ten (10) Semi-Finalists. The ten (10) eligible entries with the highest Round One scores will be designated as Semi-Finalists to advance to Round Two, the online voting portion of the Contest. Entries will be assessed, and up to 40 points awarded, using the following criteria:
2) 10 points for art, which is defined as how you to show the character.
3) 20 points for creativity, which is defined as being original and unique.
In the event of a tie in Round One, the entry with the highest total in the idea category will advance. If the entries are still tied, the entry with the highest total in the art category will advance. If the entries still remain tied, a qualified judge will select the entry they feel best represents the overall themes of the Contest.
Sponsor reserves the right to select fewer than ten (10) Semi-Finalists if it does not receive a sufficient number of eligible entries.
NOTIFICATION OF SEMI-FINALISTS: Semi-Finalists will be notified around September 30, 2021 using the Parent’s phone number or e-mail address listed on the Official Online Entry Form. Potential Semi-Finalists will need to respond within 48 hours of notification and be asked to complete, sign and forward within five (5) calendar days of date of receipt all of the following as requested by Sponsor: (a) An Assignment of Rights consistent with the provisions of these rules; and (b) a Publicity Release consistent with the provisions of these rules. Failure to respond within 48 hours of notification or complete the Documents as required will result in potential Semi-Finalist’s disqualification, and selection of an alternate potential Semi-Finalist based on the next highest point total.
B. Round Two: Selection of five (5) Finalists. In Round Two, the Semi-Finalist entries will be featured for viewing and voting from October 15, 2021 to October 22, 2021. To vote, consumers should view and evaluate the entries at hannafordsnackpals.com/parents, and cast a vote for the entry they deem most motivating, inspirational, and creative. Entries will be awarded a number of points depending on how many votes they received. The contestant with the most votes will earn up to 20 (maximum) points, and all other contestants will receive points in proportion to votes received.
Limit one (1) vote per person during the Voting Period.
The five (5) Semi-Finalists with the highest combined scores after Rounds One and Two will be designated as Finalists. In the event of a tie for the 5th Finalist position after Rounds One and Two, each of the tied Semi-Finalists will advance to Round Three.
C. Round Three: Selection of Grand Prize Winner. Finalists’ entries will be evaluated by a panel of judges based on the same criteria used in Round One, up to 40 points awarded:
1) 10 points for idea, which is defined as what character you chose.
2) 10 points for art, which is defined as how you to show the character.
3) 20 points for creativity, which is defined as being original and unique.
The one (1) Finalist with the highest score after all three Rounds will be deemed the potential Grand Prize Winner. In the event of a tie after the completion of Round Three, the entry with the highest combined total in the idea and art categories will be deemed a potential Grand Prize Winner. In the event of a tie in Round Three, the entry with the highest total in the idea category will advance. If the entries are still tied, the entry with the highest total in the art category will advance. If the entries still remain tied, a qualified judge will select the entry they feel best represents the overall themes of the Contest.
6. ASSIGNMENT OF RIGHTS: Semi-Finalists grant to Sponsor a royalty-free, sub-licensable, transferable right to exploit the copyright and publicity rights in his/her entry, and any ancillary and subsidiary rights therein, in any medium through the world in perpetuity for editorial, educational, promotional, publicity, or advertising purposes, including without limitation the right to edit, publish, use, adapt, exploit, modify, copy, disseminate, or dispose of the entry without further compensation or notification of any kind (the “License”) except as prohibited by law. Entrant explicitly acknowledges and agrees that Sponsor reserves the right to publish any or all content of entry essay with or without first and last name credit to the entrant; and entries that attempt to restrict this right will not be considered. Semi-Finalists shall execute at Sponsor’s request such documents as may be necessary to confirm or enact the assignment of rights set forth herein.
7. PUBLICITY RELEASE: Semi-Finalists grant to Sponsor and Sponsor’s designees the right to the use of Semi-Finalist’s name, picture, likeness, voice, video, biographical information and statements, at any time or times, for advertising, trade, publicity and promotional purposes, in all media now known or hereafter discovered, worldwide and on the Internet and World Wide Web, without notice, review or approval and without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law.
8. ODDS: All eligible entries will be judged. There are no odds as a result. Sponsor cannot predict the number of contestants or quality of entries.
9. GRAND PRIZE WINNER NOTIFICATION: The potential Grand Prize winner will be notified, by phone or e-mail, on or aboutNovember 1, 2021. The potential Grand Prize winner must respond within seven (7) calendar days of first attempted notification and must (a) have submitted a Publicity Release and signed waiver and release form and otherwise comply with “Assignment of Rights” provisions of these rules, below; (b) complete an Affidavit of Eligibility and a Release of Liability; (c) complete required tax documents; (d) complete an authorization form to conduct a background check. Failure to comply will result in disqualification. Should a potential Grand Prize winner fail to respond or comply, Sponsor will declare the prize forfeited, and the Finalist with the next highest total will be deemed a potential Grand Prize winner.
10. PRIZE AND APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE (“ARV”):
The Grand Prize winner will be awarded $1,000 cash intended to be used towards education and awarded in the form of a check. In addition, the winning submission will be featured on the Snack Pals microsite and in other marketing promotions at the sole discretion of Hannaford.
Prizes are nontransferable. All federal, state, local taxes and fees, including sales tax are the sole responsibility of the Winner. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of comparable or greater value. Prize consists only of items specifically listed as part of the prize.
11. ADDITIONAL TERMS: If for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including but not limited to fire, flood, epidemic, earthquake, explosion, labor dispute or strike, act of God or public enemy, satellite or equipment failure, riot or civil disturbance, war (declared or undeclared), terrorist threat or activity, or any federal, state or local government law, order or regulation, order of any court or jurisdiction, disruptions caused by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other cause that corrupts, affects or compromises the administration, security, fairness, integrity, proper conduct or intended play of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest, and select the potential Winner from among all eligible, non-suspect entries received up to that time. Sponsor also reserves the right to disqualify any individual who Sponsor or PIERCE deems responsible for or related to actual or attempted disruption of or interference with the Contest or its intended operation. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any error (including user error), omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications failure, theft, lost, failed, incomplete, inaccurate, stolen, misdirected, undelivered, garbled, destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries or votes, including any erroneous appearance of qualification for a prize. In no case will more than the stated number of prizes be awarded. Sponsor is not responsible for any problem or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers or Internet Service Provider (ISP), computer equipment, satellite, telephone or cable transmissions, software, failure of any e-mail or entry to be received by Sponsor due to technical problem or traffic, congestion on the internet or at any web site, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in this Contest. WARNING: ANY ATTEMPT BY ANY PERSON TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
12. INDEMNIFICATION AND RELEASE OF LIABILITY: By entering, entrant agrees to accept and abide by the Official Rules of this Contest and agrees that any questions with regard to the conduct of this Contest, interpretation of the Official Rules or awarding of a prize shall be resolved by Sponsor or PIERCE whose decision shall be binding and final. By entering, entrant agrees to release, indemnify and hold harmless Sponsor, PIERCE, together with each of their respective parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, service agencies, licensors, independent contractors, and the officers, directors, employees, agents and representatives of any of the above organizations (the “Released Parties”) from any injury, loss, or damage to person or property, including without limitation bodily injury, death, loss of privacy, breach of security, loss of control of devices/appliances, or any other harm due in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, to the acceptance, use, or misuse of a prize, or participation in any Contest-related activity By entering, entrant agrees to be contacted using the information provided to the Sponsor and/or PIERCE during entry for the purposes of Contest administration. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of this offer, administration of the Contest, the disqualification or elimination of any votes accumulated for any reason, or in the announcement of prizes, including such error as an erroneous indication that a prize has been won. In no case will more than the stated number of prizes be awarded. All entries are the property of Sponsor and are not returnable.
13. DISPUTES/GOVERNING LAW: The parties waive all rights to trial in any action or proceeding instituted in connection with these Official Rules, including, without limitation, the Contest. Any controversy or claim arising out of or relating to these Official Rules and/or the Contest shall be settled by binding arbitration in accordance with the commercial arbitration rules of the American Arbitration Association. Any such controversy or claim shall be arbitrated on an individual basis and shall not be consolidated in any arbitration with any claim or controversy of any other party. The arbitration shall be conducted in the State of Maine, City of Scarborough. THESE OFFICIAL RULES AND THE INTERPRETATION OF ITS TERMS SHALL BE GOVERNED BY AND CONSTRUED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF MAINE WITHOUT REGARD TO ITS CONFLICTS OF LAWS RULES. For any matters which are not subject to arbitration as set forth in these Official Rules and/or in connection with the entering of any judgment on an arbitration award in connection with these Official Rules and/or the Contest, the parties irrevocably submit and consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the state and federal courts located in the County of Cumberland, State of Maine. The parties agree not to raise the defense of forum non conveniens.
14. WINNERS’ LIST: For the name of the Grand Prize winner, visit hannafordsnackpals.com/parents after November 15, 2021.
Sponsored by Hannaford Bros. Co., LLC, 145 Pleasant Hill Road, Scarborough ME, 04074.
Contest is administered by PIERCE, 5000 S. Towne Drive, New Berlin, WI 53151.